- Tinnitus loudness matching
- Tinnitus Pitch matching
- Tinnitus education/counseling
- Loudness discomfort level
- Minimum masking level
Purpose of the test:
Tinnitus evaluation is done to determine the pitch, loudness of the tinnitus and the minimum level to match the tinnitus. The evaluation process assists in determining the best approach to manage tinnitus. Several approaches to manage tinnitus include:
- Habituation and Tinnitus Retraining therapy
- Hearing aid and tinnitus instruments
- Maskers and home masking devices
- Stress management
- Support and education groups.
What to expect:
You will be tested in a sound proof booth after a comprehensive case history is obtained. Pairs of tones are presented and you will be asked to identify which one best matched the pitch of your tinnitus. The sound level is then increased in small increments to determine if the loudness matches the tinnitus. Minimum masking level is to determine the lowest level that a band of noise made the tinnitus inaudible.